The Ceylon Bible Society organized a special programme to commemorate international Elders’ Day on Saturday, 28th October 2017 at Our Lady of Sorrows Church, Walana , Panadura from 9 am to 2 pm. Handful of Tranquility Exhibition “organized by the Ceylon Bible society is an annual event that offers the senior Citizens an opportunity to exhibit their talents and creativity.
It was a wonderful opportunity that was provided by the Ceylon Bible Society for the Senior Citizens for the 14th time to participate and get the services which were offered them free of charge. The holding of this event was an attempt by the Ceylon Bible Society to extend its encouragement and support to the Senior Citizens in a society where they are often neglected and do not receive due appreciation. There was very positive response from the Senior Citizens who have been uplifted and empowered through this venture. The event itself was supported by the Parents Committee of the parish Church. Rev. Fr. Sameera Fonseka , Rector of St. Vincent’s Technical School, Maggona graced the occasion as the Chief Guest. Mr. A. R. Gunewardena , The Director of Christian Religious affairs and many other members of the Clergy and Government officials were guests of Honour at this event.
We thank Parish Priest Rev. Fr. Shelton Dias for enabling the Church Premises and providing all the facilities towards the success of this programme.
This year too additional facilities were provided to the Senior Citizens over 60 years of age for their benefits. The facilities included:
- Senior Citizens’ Identity cards issued by the Ministry of Social Welfare & Empowerment ( National Elders’ secretariat Division)
- Medical Consultants conducted by a team of three doctors
- Advice on health issue and providing of Aurwedic medicine by the Government Aurwedic Hospital, Molligoda, Wadduwa.
- Free Eye Testing and distribution of reading spectacles by the Ministry of Social Empowerment, Welfare & Kandy An Heritage & Siyol International.
- Samaposha packets and Herbal Porridge distributed by the Ceylon Biscuits Ltd.
- Blood Sugar checking instruments and strips provided free of charge by the Diabetes Association of Sri Lanka.
We also wish to thank Siyol International for sponsoring of free Eye testing and distribution of reading spectacles. We wish to thank Mr. Upali Fernando of Sun Ray Eye Care, Moratuwa for lending us and optometrists for the event. A very special “ “thank you” to the International Red Cross Society for donating us clothes, towels , slippers to be distributed.