31st “LIGHT OF THE WORLD” SPEECH CONTEST” – 2017
(Sponsored by the Ceylon Bible Society & Organized by the Wendy Whatmore Academy
of Speech & Drama)
This contest, one of the late Mrs. Wendy Whatmore’s cherished dreams, is now conducted annually.
It is open to all, and is supported by all. No entry fee is charged. It is conducted in four age groups.
The four age groups are:
Primary – Under 8 years on 01.06.2017
Junior – Under 12 years on 01.06.2017
Intermediate – 12 to 16 years on 01.06.2017
Senior – 17 to 25 years on 01.06.2017
- Primary and Junior candidates are expected to speak from memory one passage from the New Testament (any version) – Should not exceed two minutes. (choose a passage the participant can understand)
- Intermediate and Senior candidates are requested to speak from memory one passage from the Old Testament and one passage from the New Testament (any version) – each passage should not exceed two minutes.
- All candidates should bring 3 photocopies of each passage of scripture which he/she intends to render and should be brought to the Zonal contest and to the Grand Finals if he/she is selected.
- All those who are placed at the Zonal contests will also receive a certificate.
- The decision of the Judges at the Zonal and all Island contests will be Final and NOT subject to appeal.
- For the all Island finals in Colombo, winners will be drawn from each zone. Should there be more than 20 participants in whatever age group in any zone, such a zone will be entitled to send the first two participants form that particular age group to the all Island finals.
- Zonal contests –
- To be held in Colombo, Batticaloa, Jaffna, Kandy, Matara, Vavuniya, Galle & Trincomalee.
- The dates to be decided by the organizers (out stations) & details to be sent to the participants.
- Colombo zonal will be held on the 01st July 2017, at 9.00 am at the Wendy Whatmore Academy, No – 05 , 13th Lane, Colombo – 03
- Finals will be held on the 05th August 2017, at 5.00 pm at the Bible House (4TH Floor), Auditorium, 293, Galle Road, Colombo -03.
- Please enclose a stamped, self addressed long envelope with your application and send it to:
Wendy Whatmore Academy,
No – 05, 13th Lane,
Tel – +94-11- 2573912
Application & detail forms can be downloaded from the CBS website given below
/ Website: www.ceylonbiblesociety.org | Facebook: facebook.com/ceylonbiblesociety
ENTRIES CLOSE ON 15th of June 2017